Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Society is falling apart

Be polite

I don't call my boss by his first name. I call him by his title as a sign of respect for what he has accomplished. I call cops "officer," and judges "your honor." I call my elders Mister or Ma'am. I show respect to my subordinates and my peers and colleagues. I also expect people like police officers, judges, and strangers to use such honorifics as "sir" and "mister" when they are talking to me. My proper name is reserved for friends, family, and those others that are socially permitted to (my boss and colleagues for example).

I was pulled over. I obeyed the signal and pulled to the side of the road safely. I removed the key from the ignition and kept my hands on the wheel as the officer approached. I understand that they have rough job sometimes. I wanted to respect that. After checking my license and whatever else they do back in their car he returned and handed me my license. He called me by my first name and notified me that I needed to change my license over. I said "okay" but I corrected him on his excessive familiarity. We are not friends or he would not have pulled me over. No ticket by the way. He is a public employee and I respect that. That is why I called him "officer." I expect the same in return.

To all the sad little hippy people out there that think that showing respect to others is an elitist trap, go to hell. To all the women out there that get offended when I give up my seat on the bus or hold a door open for them, go to hell. I will keep doing it because it is right. Manners is the oil that keeps the social machine going.

On that note: Men and women are different. No law will ever change that. That does not mean that a women who is qualified cannot hold any job that a similarly qualified man can hold. No modified standards though. If you want to be in the military you should have to climb the same wall in the same manner as the men. The same kind of pushups and no special standards for females at all. They should however take all the market will handle. When a man opens a door for you just say "thank you." It isn't a statement on your capability, you may however secretly think that you can't compete unless you complain about the fact that men and women are different.

Dress for the occasion/Uniform of the day: Show respect by dressing for where you will be. Flip flops are rarely acceptable. I know some remarkable ladies that are involved in the sport Roller Derby. On the track they dress in the team uniform. At work they dress as their job requires. I know a nurse, a soldier, a librarian (which is hot by itself), and a dental hygienist. They dress for their jobs. I have also seen them at social functions. They dress as the beautiful ladies that they are enjoying a night out. In no outfit, uniform, or clothing are they less the strong, powerful women that they are.

I work with some rather remarkable women. They dress the occasion and the purpose. I have also seen them off duty and they dress appropriately for where they are. No change of clothes changes the powerful intellects that they have. My wife can go from t-shirt, jeans, and these hiking boots that I hate to a suit without changing who she is or the fact that she is a capable and intelligent woman. What do all of these have in common? The clothes don't make the person but they show respect and practicality for the situation in which they are.

Men, don't think that you are off the hook. A jacket and tie, learn to tie it right. Tuxedos are sometimes appropriate, do them right. Try to shave on a semi-regular basis at least and if you are beard guy try not to look like Ted Kacynski.

Don't over do it, just do it. Be polite and be sincere about it. Dress for the occasion. No, nobody is trying to hold you down.

Society, all of us dealing with each other, requires manners. Use them or lose the society. Drum circles won't solve that either.


. . . and why do art shows stink?

2 comments:

  1. "That does not mean that a women who is qualified..."

    A women?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there more? It is correct in the statement, unless you are a grammar nazi who is going to correct me. I would be fine with that. Grammar, logic, and rhetoric are important. Sure I misspelled, mea culpa. Was there anything that you could add to the discussion Chancellor?

    ReplyDelete