Thursday, September 22, 2011

der is wisdom in dem der hills

Yes there is. It took many moons for me to figure this out. I am sure that countless others had this figured out well before me.

"Gawd willin' and da creek don't rise." I used to think that this should a profound lack of faith in the faithful. In retrospect it shows a profound pragmatism about the world. "Gawd" can will, or at least things can happen that people think is the Will of Zeus, by the creek does occasionally rise and it would be stupid to try to cross then. Sometimes things just don't work out. Sometimes those "acts of God" really stick it in and break it off. So be it, you have to maintain because the world won't meet you half way.

"Dawgs gonna hunt." Yes they will, anyone who has ever had a dog knows this. A bit deeper, everything will act according to its nature. If you are dealing with a crook, know it so you will know what he will do or at least you will know what motivates him.

Aside: "Bless his heart" means "look how stupid that boy is" or, depending upon context, "look how well he deals with the cards that life dealt." Afterall, it is all in the cards.

Then there are rattlesnake roundups. I can't figure that out, it seems crazy to me but I have done dumber things (though with less venom).


No comments:

Post a Comment