Monday, September 5, 2011

What about social justice?

I was asked this just yesterday after somebody read some of my ideas on immigration, "what about social justice?" A good question is, what makes "social justice" different from "justice?" I get suspicious when people use phrases like "social justice" because it suggests that it is something different from "justice." I get bothered by phrases like "African American rights" or "Latino rights" because that suggests that it is something different from human rights.


This question was asked in reference to my stance on immigration. The real solution is not open borders. It is Mexico and other ailing states getting their act together. The people of Mexico are like the people from any other state that you could ever meet. They are decent in that they care about their families and want to make a living. That is something that we can all applaud.


What is unfortunate is that several police officers, other officials, and innocent people have been the victim of corruption and far too many have been murdered. The real solution is to help Mexico be successful. Presidente Calderon needs to clean house. I am a little scared of the things that Mexico will have to do to clean house.


Every day will I move across town I see Juarez. I read about what the people there are going through. My heart does go out to them. I look forward to a day in which they can build their lives and their country without living in fear of thugs and gangsters.


So what can the USA do about it? Not much really. Throwing more money at the problem certainly won't help because of the corruption in different levels of their government. How about we legalize marijuana and cut a huge portion of cartel profits? How about we change immigration policy to where it is not stupid? How about we control the border and have serious consequences for those that come across illegally? I have no problem with people that want to work and be free. Having met many immigrants I can say that I want more of them. Hell, I will even work out a two for one deal. You send us one good one and I have two that I would like to give to Mexico. Win win all around. Of course those being sent from the USA would have to speak Spanish and actually attempt to become part of Mexico. Hmmm, that could be an interesting comparative government post.


Someone remind me to tell everyone the "typical machete fight" story.



No comments:

Post a Comment